- False Claims Act and Whistleblower Litigation
- Business and Complex Commercial Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Financial Services and Banking Litigation
- Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets
Mr. Hembd earned his J.D. from Yale Law School in 2010, where he served as an Editor of The Yale Law Journal and an Executive Editor of the Yale Journal of Law and Technology. He earned his bachelor’s degree summa cum laude from UCLA in 2004. Mr. Hembd began his legal career as an associate at Irell & Manella, and later served as counsel at a Southern California litigation boutique.
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Bret Hembd is an accomplished litigator who represents individuals and companies in a broad array of high—stakes business litigation in state and federal court. Mr. Hembd brings creativity, pragmatism, and focused problem solving to bear in helping clients successfully navigate and resolve their most complex disputes.
In addition to his work with Herrera Purdy, Mr. Hembd maintains Hembd Law, his own independent law practice based in Los Angeles.
- Obtained summary judgment in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act against a leading insurance company. The judgment was upheld by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented five engineers employed by a major aerospace manufacturer in a high—profile dispute involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation. Obtained favorable rulings on motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, resulting in a successful settlement.
- Represented former CEO and chief credit officer of a Southern California bank in obtaining a no-liability settlement in an action brought by the FDIC alleging gross negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented an investment management firm in obtaining $20 million on summary judgment in an action for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty against a global financial services company for conduct stemming from the 2008 financial crisis. The investment management firm later obtained an additional $30 million in a settlement shortly before trial.
- Represented an insurance and financial services company in a patent infringement action involving risk—management software used in analyzing and predicting catastrophic weather events. After extensive discovery, the matter settled on favorable terms.
Noteworthy contributions and successes
- Southern California Super Lawyer “Rising Star” 2017, 2018.